Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Borscht

My friend invited me out to her beautiful garden to pick some beets - which I did!

I have learned that I quite enjoy beets and knowing how good they are for you makes me happy to feed them to my family.  I wanted to make borscht and needed a good recipe and another friend of mine posted this one on facebook so I tried it!
I started with 2 of these:

Then I just started adding veggies.  Beets, potatoes
I used about 1/2 a head of cabbage coursely chopped:
I also put some carrots and an onion in.
Then I added a can of chopped tomatoes and some tomatoe paste.
I realized when I was editing this pic that the tomatoe paste looks like a chicken - LOL - can you see it?
Put it on the stove and let it simmer about 2 hours and you get this:
We like ours with sour cream!
This was so yummy!  Doesn't it make you feel good body and soul when you know you are nourishing yourself and your family with something so healthy!
Here's the recipe if you're interested:
2 containers of beef broth - aprox 2 L
4 medium beets chopped into bite size pieces
1 small bag of baby potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 head of cabbage coursely chopped
1 big handful of carrots chopped
1 onion finely chopped (my kids don't like onions so I have to hide them)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 can of tomatoe paste
1 handful of fresh dill

Put everything in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Simmer two hours and serve with a dolop of sour cream!  This is even more yummy a day or two later!
Let me know if you try it and what you think and if you have any other beet recipes or beet green recipes I'd LOVE to hear them!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover