Thursday, October 11, 2012

Jessica Hover: Celebration. Not comparison.

Shaun and Jessica Hover were a couple we met when Isaiah was in YWAM - they were his leaders on his Chile outreach and are just an amazing young couple.  They both impacted Isaiah's life in an irreversible way and we are so thankful for their heart and investment.  I read Jessica's blog regularly and am constantly challenged by the things she rights but more so on the insight and transparency regarding her own journey.   She is just as beautiful inside as she is on the outside - a stunning beauty both physically and in her heart.

This was a recent post by Jess that I especially loved and a message I think we all need to hear more so I'm posting it here for you to read.  I hope it encourages you as much as it encourages me!


Celebration. Not comparison.

That's something I'm learning.

Celebrating a person means that when someone else achieves something great or receives something wonderful... I get excited with them. If they look particularly good, or happen to be gifted with a certain strength then my job is to encourage them in it.

If they sing well then I promote them. If they cook well, then I tell them.
If they have an awesome body, I can affirm them in that.

It's so common to feel insecure about someone else's successes... But that is comparison... And it's rooted in lies.

The success of another person is NOT a mark of our failure, and it doesn't have to make us feel bad.

I read this cute story recently:

3 caterpillars were crawling through a field. Seeing a butterfly pass over them, the first said, "Look at that smart aleck up there, flitting around, making us feel stupid." The second caterpillar said, "You know, some days I wish I could fly." The third caterpillar said excitedly, "I know that guy! He used to be one of us! If he can fly then I know I can fly too!"

Where do we fit in the story? How do we respond when we see strengths in other people?

God designed us so that when we walk in our gifts & strengths, with confidence and humility, it will actually inspire other people to embrace their own gifts & strengths too.

God's word says in 1 Peter 4:10, "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

Meaning our focus isn't on whether or not we are better than the people around us. Our focus is on using what we have been given to bless, serve, encourage, inspire, and LOVE the people around us.

Comparison is a thief.

Celebration is a love-filled-life-giving party!
So.... Let's party! :) 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover